donderdag 24 januari 2013

Student's Radio "Runā Skaļāk" - Bordercross Interview

Once you get into ERASMUS you will most probably find that there is a Facebook group for your study abroad destination. In my case, 'Erasmus Riga 12-13', often flooded with people asking for a place to stay (and stating the alternative to be to sleep under the bridge) but sometimes also with other interesting messages. One of them was an invitation for an interview at Student's Radio ''Runā Skaļāk'' (Talk Louder) as part of the radio show ''Bordercross''. It is open to foreign students from any university or country.  

The main idea of the show is to speak about the border between Latvian and foreigners but also about yourself and your personal experiences. To me visiting this show seemed very interesting because it is an opportunity to talk to a local instead of the numerous other international ERASMUS students. Of course, meeting up with other ERASMUS students is fun. However, I am quite sure that most of them told their director from their home university that they want to learn about the culture of Latvia. Frankly, this involves more than just drinking Riga Black Balsam or enjoying good Latvian beers. You have to talk to locals in an attempt to at least try to find out what it's all about. Don't worry, young Latvians their English level is more than sufficient. All of this being said, I was excited to go to Rīgas Stradiņa Universitāte (Riga Stradiņš University, RSU in short) where the interview would take place.

By the host I was asked to select a few of my favourite Dutch songs and if possible, to tell something about them. Whilst I listen to a lot of music from Dutch DJ's, I wouldn't really call this 'real Dutch songs', as the lyrics (if any) are in English. I know some 'real Dutch songs' (Dutch artist(s) and Dutch lyrics), but I hardly listen to them. Hence, it took me quite some effort to make a selection. It is also just that picking random songs would be too easy. Moreover, I felt it had to be songs which I like. Lastly, they shouldn't be cheesy, as there is some pride (you are asked for something that represents your country) involved here. In the end, my list (artist(s); title) was as follows:
1. 
Rob de Nijs - Banger Hart
2. Dio - Tijdmachine ft. Sef
3. Fluitsma & Van Tijn - 15 Miljoen Mensen
4. Veldhuis & Kemper - Ik Wou Dat Ik Jou Was
5. 
Marco Borsato ft. Ali B - Wat Zou Je Doen

From this list I find number 3 to be particulary nice, because it reflects quite well on
the Dutch culture (see video with accompanying lyrics).

Before the radio show started I was informed about the procedure. Then from the beginning it was a friendly conversation. Although I didn't always know what to say good questions were posed as to keep the conversation flowing. As a result, much input was coming from me, the interviewee, instead of the interviewer, exactly as how it should be (I think I can say, after having had some classes on interviewing in the past). I liked the interview very much because it allowed me to refeel some of the experiences and moments I had in Riga, Latvia and abroad with ESN. I also learned that the Riga Radio and TV Tower is higher than the Eiffel Tower. Actually, I never even thought about this, eventhough I  could see this Radio and TV Tower from my window for almost 3 months (PRIMA dormitory). The interview helped me to remember how the education here is different (e.g. classizes) from my home institution. Furthermore, I realised that almost nobody knows (only one person in fact - and I have asked plenty) korfball, to find on Wikipedia that is in fact a Dutch sport! It is all these things which made this interview a special and joyful experience and something which I like to remember as having been part of my study abroad in Latvia. At the end I also received a runā skaļāk pen, as mentioned by the host, helpful for any student. :-) 


For those having become interested in the RSU student radio their website is: http://runaskalak.lv/, their livestream: livestream.com/runaskalak, and the recording of which when I was a guest: http://livestre.am/4foIA. For me all that remains to say is that when I was in the bus back home I thought there was more I wanted to mention and that if I would be invited to come again I didn't even have to think about it, a definite yes. 


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten