vrijdag 10 augustus 2012

Vai jūs runājat angliski?


Vai jūs runājat angliski? Translated: do you speak English? Indeed, unfortunately my  Latvian is not that great yet. The same holds true for my Russian, which I did not practice at all yet. However, I have been told that trying to learn both these languages simultaneously might lead to great confusion - something I do not wish.
For now it thus will be Latvian only, which by some locals and international students is experienced as more difficult than Russian (!). When in shops I try to use the words I already have mastered, which often leads to the person behind the cash register putting up a big smile. Atleast nice to know that my efforts are being appreciated! Although most youngsters speak English, some (older) adults and elderly people do not. Of course you would like to be able to talk to everyone! My EILC (Erasmus Intensive Language Course) teacher is of great help in boosting my Latvian performance, but in the end it is always up to the individual to make it happen. Some things in life do not come easy, and Latvian is clearly one of them. However, that shouldn't stop me from being motivated, as it is more the long-term rather than short-term goals that really count. Currently, I am pleased to be able to say ''es runāju mazliet latviski''.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten