maandag 17 september 2018

Return to Latvia pt. 10: Latvia here we come!!

After wildcamping for a third time about 12 km from Klaipeda, Latvia wasn't far anymore. In other words: Latvia, here we come!! With the new pump and an inner tire that I had to buy in Klaipeda I hoped most of my bike bad luck would be over.

On the way to Latvia I had a short stop at lake Plaze (Plocis), 8 km to the west of Kretingalė. A fresh water lake of a natural glacial origin that is closest to the sea in Lithuania. Water birds stop at Plocis lake to feed and to rest, during the long migrations located between far located hatching sites. Rather than looking for birds here, for me, it was mostly realizing I am passing special places.

When I arrived in Palanga it took me some time to find lubric for my chain, which was much needed. Two bike shops that I found on Google Maps did not seem to exist anymore. In the end I found what I needed by asking around in a construction market. Multi-purpose household oil did the trick. Lesson learned: do take oil for the chain with you in advance

After I passed Palanga I went for my second session of beach drying. In the meantime I went swimming in the Baltic sea which was a lot of good fun.

Afterwards I continued towards Latvia. As of Klaipeda onwards, the road was easy to find with plenty of Eurovelo 10 route signs. This was a difference with the Nieman cycle trail route, where there were no signs. At the sign of Latvia I made a picture upon which a Lithuanian car which drove into Latvia pressed the horn hah. :)

In Latvia itself it was a straight way across a brand spanking new highway towards Liepaja.
Upon arrival in Liepaja I met a very kind couple who were out cycling with their kid. The man gave me tire seals which I thanked him for but hoped I would not need. He also pointed towards a camping where I could stay. I settled there for the night as it was already late and getting dark soon. I could not have done so without the help of a Lithuanian family who were so kind to call the camping owner for me! I had a pleasant experience interacting with them. And they gave me some Lithuanian candy when I left. :) If you are reading this, thank you. Ačiū!

Next up: making milage

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten