dinsdag 18 september 2018

Return to Latvia pt 11: making milage

I made a great start into Latvia by having reached Liepaja. The goal by now was to just get to Riga as soon as possible. In other words, making milage/ kilometers. Especially since the weather was great and I did not know for how much longer it would be like that. After a great stay at the camping I headed through Liepaja onwards to Kuldiga via Jurkalne. In Liepaja itself I saw some cool cars on the water.

When I was not even outside Liepaja I noticed how a tick was on my hand. I immediately pulled it off as I did not have my tick pier closeby. Lesson learned: better your packing for future trips. When I stopped I helped a fellow traveller who stayed at the same camping to find her route. After this unpleasant encounter with a tick and helping my new made friend I continued my travel to Jurkalne.

The road to Jurkalne was full of road constructions with plenty parts of gravel. In Jurkalne I stopped at a petrol station to take a rest. There I talked to a local who asked if I came from Liepaja. Maybe he noticed the mud on my bike and knew about the road works. He was a BMX rider himself. He told me I could get water at his place 8 km further and also provided me with a tip for a hotel recommendation in Alsunga. But he also agreed with me when I said it would still be doable to cycle 40 km onwards to reach Kuldiga. After I chatted with another man who offered me beer as he was drinking it. And seemed to have simply gotten in his car afterwards. Memorable encounters.

After I passed Alsunga I continued in the direction of Kuldīga via Ēdole. The route to and Ēdole self had some beautiful sights! When I arrived in Kuldiga I realized it was even more beautiful than I remembered it to be. Because it was dark and there is some delay in the navigation from the smartphone that I bought in Kaunas, I had a hard time finding the bridge where I needed to pass. Luckily, a swiss girl helped me out and even showed me there was still a camping spot available at
the camping she was staying. And then I woke up to this, who wouldn't want that?!
Having made a lot of headway over the past two days (190km+) I knew it wouldn't be long anymore before reaching Riga.

next up: the last stretch

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten