woensdag 19 september 2018

Return to Latvia pt. 12: the last stretch

After Kuldīga I went to Sabile, Kandava, Tukums, Klapkalnciems and Jūrmala to arrive in Riga.

In Sabile I had an unexpected and pleasant encounters with motorcylists. I stopped at the supermarket for a rest and bite. There I also saw two motors, with a Latvian and a Lithuanian license plate. A lady on the motor said how they had seen me on the road already four times. I never noticed myself! We had a great little chat. She recommended me to try the local Sabiles Sidrs and gave me an apple of the tree of the brother of one of the motorbikers. When saying goodbye she said we would probably meet again on the road. :) Encounters like these made my trip worthwhile! Unfortunately the Sabiles Sidrs shop was closed over the weekend.

After Sabiles I went to Kandava where I saw some great art, including what looked like Pumbaa from Lion King.

After Kandava I went to Tukums. The first part of the road was good, despite being patched up everywhere. Thereafter, the "bicycle" roads just around Tukums were just plain terrible. My navigation actually stopped working here because I guess I was too far off a main road. The cycling at this time was a heavy burden on my paining left knee. It was a test on my persistence. It was good to know Riga wasn't far anymore.



In Tukums I tried to find an accommodation online but it seemed everything was already fully booked. I also did not notice any camping so I just continued. Having passed Smarde I realized there was only the highway and that was not an option. A kind Latvian stopped with his car and said he could give me a ride to Riga and that my bike would fit in the back. But he understood when I explained that I could not reach Riga this way. So I cycled 10 kilometers back for my final wildcamping. With the mobile network being very weak at this location I had to connect to the provider their network several times so I could book an accommodation on time this time around.

On the final day I woke up early and got an early start as I started to cycle 8:30 AM towards Klapkalnciems. Only 60 kilometers left to Riga. There was quite some rain but at this point no weather (except thunder) could stop me from reaching my destination. The rain cleared relatively soon. In Klapkalnciems I stopped to buy and eat some food as I had barely any breakfast left in the morning.

From Klapkalnciems to Jurmala I cycled straight through glass. Luckily, no flat tire, the last one being in Klaipeda and for which I hoped it to be the last. In Jurmala I saw some great looking buildings (with sometimes deteroriated buildings next to it), art, a clock which reminded me of the Laima clock in Riga and an odd shaped car. Definitely stuff that you won't see just anywhere else.



The last part from Jurmala to Riga was quite a breeze. I The only time I still stopped was to take off my rain-wind jacket because it was too warm now the rain had passed. I arrived in Riga at 12:30 PM with unexpectedly never having seen a sign that I entered Riga. There was not the expected euphoria. The biggest euphoria moment was when I reached Pravieniškės II after two days instead of 2 hours. Yet I could say I completed my trip and I am sure satisfied about that!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten