zondag 16 september 2018

Return to Latvia pt. 7: cycling in and around Kaunas

On the train that I took back to Vilnius they did not only have wall sockets in 2nd class but also a screen where you could see exactly where you are on the railway track and how fast the train goes. We don't have these cool things in 2nd class in Dutch trains! In Vilnius I changed my bike for a better one and took the train back to Kaunas two day later. On the train ride to Kaunas I found out that they have a very convenient way to store bikes. Who would have thought Lithuanian trains would be so modern! I didn't ever see this in Latvia whilst I was still living there.

In Kaunas I stayed at the Monk's Bunk Kaunas hostel and got good sightseeing tips. The great owner and host gave me a tip to check out the food trucks that would be nearby that day in the nemuno sala park. There I had a bite, talked to a local couple and talked to cyclists who were also there. There was also some great lightning, which refers to a Kaunas basketball team (Lithuanians are big on basketball). Asking for cycling recommendations they told me I could go to Kadagių slėnis if I didn't mind to cycle a longer distance. Little did I know I would also be crossing rail tracks as my navigation told me this was the way to go.
After I came back from Kadagių slėnis I visited some more places. Not before the hostel owner told me Kadagių slėnis is a place where the air is still completely fresh and visited for healing purposes.

Whilst I already covered 50 km after Kadagių slėnis that didn't stop me for seeing more from Kaunas during the late afternoon and evening. I went to Santakos parks, and the westernmost tip where there is the confluence of the rivers Nemunas and Neris.

And the highlight of my trip, going downhill fast 46 km/h+ on the three girls bridge crossing the Nemunas river to the massive Basanavičius park. This was one of the places recommended by a Lithuanian girl I met in the supermarket. This park is like a track for go karts but then for bikes, totally awesome. Even a gym is included, as in more Kaunas parks.














Besides the parks I also had a good time at Energy Food, a small and trendy café that came recommended to me. After 2 nights in Kaunas it was time to really to make some distance on the Cycleway Nieman Cycle Trail again. I would take the route recommended by the cyclists and also the hostel owner.

Next up: route 141

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten